Wednesday, April 05, 2006

A Jack With One Eye

We've started the "conceptual" phase for the Closet Space monsters and make-ups in earnest. It's getting me jazzed, that's for sure. We've also gotten almost all of our locations squared away for the shoot - I think only two remain to lock down for sure. I may have put this down already, but we start principal photography on May 20th. It's fun actually budgeting things out with a bona-fide budget to speak of.

I did my "directorial pass" on the script, which didn't amount to much other than adding more wanton violence and brutality (my wife Melanie is going to be our Bruce Campbell for sure), but I think now the project is about where I want it, logistically and creatively. I'm down to casting the final few roles, and I'm going to start breaking up the shots and hopefully doing some storyboards by the weekend. We'll probably be having a crew meeting in the next few weeks as well to get everyone on the same page and to do the contracts.

I'm also wrapping up Witchcraft 13 for it's DVD debut. There's a chance that there will be some extras on there, which is cool. This week I've actually watched a few DTV low-budget horror movies, and by and large I have to admit that they all pretty much sucked. WC13 is no Battleship Potemkin, but some of these flicks had absolutely no sense of pacing, shot composition, editing, etc. Notice that nothing I said had anything to do with the budget. These cats all probably had more money than we did, but I would easily put WC13 up against any and all of them. Honestly, I think it would (and will) fare pretty well in the marketplace. It's nice to have that feeling - towards the end of the editing process, I started to get a bit worried about how the movie would turn out. Now that I'm seeing more and more of the "competition", my fears are slowly starting to subside.

I've been reading that John (Henry: Portrait of a Serial Killer) McNaughton currently has the Nightmare On Elm Street prequel gig. While I think this is an awesome choice, I guess I'll have to set my sights on some other equally unattainable movie directing chalice for myself now. Hello, Alien 5.

No comments: