Friday, August 12, 2005

How Will I Laugh Tomorrow...

We had our first crew meeting last night. It went well, I guess, although the last week leading up to the meeting has been punctuated with instances of me having to tell people that they're not getting paid for working on Witchcraft 13. Then, all of a sudden their attitude changes from being totally dedicated to "eh...maybe I'll make it...if I feel like it". Eat a dick, fair-weather filmmakers. I'm fucking losing money on this deal, and I've got a wedding to pay for in two months, so forgive me if I don't get all misty-eyed because I can't allocate some of the non-existant budget to line your pockets. Trust me, we can and will do it without you. Make sure you don't come around sniffing my ass when this leads to a gig where we actually will make a little dough (which it will).

Thankfully, most everyone else is into the deal for the long haul, it seems, and are willing to work for the credit and prestige of having an actual feature with distribution under their belt. Eighty percent of the crew seems pretty excited and are chomping at the bit to start shooting. One guy even offered to take a $500 dollar personal hit for a specific aspect of the production - which of course paints the dissidents an even darker shade of dick. I've heard back from most of the cast as far as locking down their dates, most of the locations are good to go, the effects (both digital and practical) are coming along nicely. I get to test out the edible hearts this weekend, I think. Yummy. Also meeting with a potential web designer to get that particular cog greased.

Our shoot dates have done the slip and slide a bit, due to Murphy's Law being in full effect. Just like with the crew situation, people that I thought would help me out on the location front are becoming difficult all of a sudden. If you ever want to know where people really stand with you, make a low budget feature. That seems to be a pretty good method of separating the wheat from the chaff. Anyway, now we're starting a week earlier and ending a week later.

I'm going to kick this movie's ass - even if I have to do it all by myself.

Again.

No comments: