Friday, July 28, 2006

Last night I went and had a rock session with my drummer John - intitally to start work on new band material, but also so that we could begin jamming out some ideas for the Closet Space score. Mainly I wanted to see if I could actually pull off some semblance of incidental move music in the power trio (or duo in this case, although I will be playing guitar and bass on the recordings) context. I actually think things went pretty well - I threw in lots of minor 2nds, major 7ths and tritones (aka "the devils interval"), and it gave the music a restless feel that I think will lend a lot to the on-screen proceedings. I'm still going to take an initial pass at one or two scenes and then see what I come up with...at that point I'll decide whether or not to go to an outside composer. It's pretty interesting to at least try it, though.

The discovery of the night was definitely John's old analog synth. I think it will play a prominent role in the compositions, since we got some killer sounds from just screwing with it for an hour or so. I wish I had thought of using the thing during Witchcraft...there were definitely some cool stings and "magic shooty" noises that we found

CS editing and new project(s) scripting proceeds apace. Now if only I could quit my 9-5 and do this full time. Dreaming cant hurt, right?

No comments: