Friday, July 01, 2005

The Fate of The Black Filmmaker

Last night's screening of Electric Purgatory was a pretty smashing success. The movie played to a plus-capacity crowd, and got a great response. Doug Pinnick from King's X (one of the most underrated bands on the planet) showed up to lend some support. It was great to see people wig out witnessing the power and prowess of Fishbone (THE most underrated band on the planet) for the first time. And no one bitched about my camerawork. It was funny noticing my cinematographic growth over the course of the movie (we worked on it for 3+ years). Hopefully things will start happening with the documentary - there are screenings being set up in NY and LA right now. Big ups to my nigga Raymond for seeing this through to the end - as a black rocker, it's especially salient to me.

So what else is happening? I've been getting in submissions for the "secret project" aka TRISKADEKAPHOBIA by the truckload. Lots of actor/actress interest, and a surprising number of competent crew in the area. I've been doing pre-interviews with everyone, and will probably start the casting in earnest in a couple of weeks. Meeting with one special effects person tonight - her credits include Aliens VS. Predator and Scary Movie 3, so hopefully she can bring the gore old-school style. This month and next are all about the pre-production.

There's a new battle going on involving public access here in Houston (again). This happens every 2 or 3 years. They're trying to rally the troops to support them, but I'm indifferent right now. My grudges invariably trump my ideals. Petty? Probably. But I could give a fuck what you think.

No comments: