Sunday, May 07, 2006

Baby...love is building.

Back and thoroughly exhausted from our first set-building weekend. A few of the crew and I set out to our farmhouse location in Ledbetter, Texas to start construction on some prectical sets. Saturday started out bleak, as we hit the road about 5 AM only to encounter a hellish typhoon en route to the location. It was almost bad enough to make me turn around. Almost. We made it to the Home Depot by 6:30 AM, and then to the location by 7:30 to await delivery of the materials. Upon their arrival, we began to construct the closet/entryway and then created some false boulders and berms for landscaping. By this point it was beginning to clear up, and the rain had made it kind of cool outside, so it worked out for the best.

We also found ourselves within listening distance of Austin's 101X, which was probably my favorite station when I lived there, and it continues to kick ass to this day. Within an hour we heard the Pixies, Fugazi(!), Flaming Lips that wasn't "She Don't Use Jelly", Danzig, and Mama Said-era Lenny Kravitz. It reminded of the fact that Houston has the shittiest radio on the planet, but also reminded me of why I sometimes miss Austin so much. If Closet Space is a success, maybe I can talk the wife into moving back up there. It would make a lot of sense at that point. We'll see.

I was packing heat the whole time of course (because you never know what can happen to a bunch of mostly non-whites in the somewhat desolate farmlands of Texas), and nearly shot Oliver when he got up in the middle of the night to pee. Fortunately, I came to my senses quickly enough before I gave Ollie the full Cheney treatment. It's a good thing too, because he really knows his way around building an interdimensional closet gateway atrium.

We are heading back up to Ledbetter this weekend to finish up construction and start "dressing" the set a bit for the shoot that begins in two weeks. Things are picking up in a massive way. I hope that we are ready.

No comments: